Saturday, August 9, 2008

to decorate an office

I recently acquired a fantastic new job, which I am really thrilled with. My coworkers are great and have warmly welcomed me aboard. I have my own office and it has a city/ shipyard view. The windows are nice and big, so I get a lot of natural light. Being a sort of corporate looking office though, it lacks character. Since I will be spending forty hours a week here, I want it to be a reflection of me. My challenge is to try and warm it up, and make it into a space that feels organized, welcoming, and if possible, soothing.

This is what I have to work with:
The walls are painted a nice, rich khaki. The desk chair and two visitor's chairs are a medium shade of evergreen. The desk and bookcase are a warm, mid-toned cherry color. My large lateral file cabinet is putty, and the trim for the doors and windows is the standard black metal, typical of contemporary office buildings.

I am considering two different color palettes.
The first includes the forest green, with reds and golds. I have a floral painting that includes all of those colors to hang on the wall. I also have a red wall clock and a black and white table lamp that would work with it. For picture frames, I would probably try to stick with all white or black.

The other palette also uses the forest green, but incorporates light blues and accents of brown. In this scenario I would hang a world map, use a white and brown lamp and white picture frames. I might hang a bulletin board covered in a fabric that has all of the colors.

In both cases, I want to use mismatched china or small flower pots to hold my pens, paper clips, post-it notes and business cards on my desk. I envision baskets on some of the shelves to store and sort envelopes and paper. Maybe some fabric covered magazine holders would be a good to keep catalogs and phone books from looking like clutter.

I don't have any photos to show you now, but I wanted to hear your opinions and ideas. Do any of you have a workspace that you have converted from sterile to homey but functional? This is my first "real" office, and the decorator in me is really excited. It needs to remain professional looking too though. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated!

No comments: